Beet soup isn’t just delicious, it’s also jam packed with nutrients. A mix of beets, parsnip, ginger, onion and garlic, this blended version is creamy, savory, and rich in flavor. Top it off with a swirl of coconut cream (or yogurt), parsley, and black sesame seeds.
This beet soup is hearty enough as a main course or you can serve it alongside any healthy salad.
Now, let me tell you why this soup should be on your list of fall and winter meals. It’s perfect for warming up your body on a cold day, is a bright mixture of delicious earthy flavors, and reaps of health benefits that are good for your gut.
INGREDIENTS FOR BEET SOUP
This soup looks impressive, but it’s not at all difficult. It can be whipped up with a few simple ingredients and some time on the stove. Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- Beets – Heart-healthy and rich in vitamins and nutrients.
- Parsnip – For a creamy texture with less carbs than potatoes.
- Ginger – Because who can resist that zest and spiciness.
- Garlic & Onions – For richness and depth of flavor.
- Vegetable Broth – You can make this soup as thick or thin as you’d like.
- Salt and Pepper – a little sprinkle of seasoning.
HOW TO MAKE THIS BEET SOUP RECIPE
The recipe comes together easily if all your ingredients are peeled, diced and ready to go. Watch how I make it on the video below!
- Cook the onion in a large stock pan over medium high heat with avocado oil for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, salt, and pepper and cook for 1-2 additional minutes.
- Add the diced beets, parsnips, and vegetable broth into the pot. Turn the heat to high and bring it to a boil. Then, reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until the beet is fork tender.
- Transfer the soup into a high powered blender (I always recommend my favorite Vitamix) and blend for one minute, until it’s smooth and creamy.
- Garnish with coconut cream, parsley, and black sesame seeds. Serve!
I know some worry about beet stains when cutting beets, so make sure to read my extra tips below.
BEET SOUP (SMOOTH AND VELVET)
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, or olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 large beets, peeled and diced (or 4 beets, if smaller)
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled and diced (approx 1 cup)
- 4 cups vegetable broth, or more for desired texture
- coconut cream or yogurt
- black sesame seeds
- cracked black pepper
Heat the avocado oil in a large stock pot on medium high heat. Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes, until softened.
Add the garlic, ginger, salt and pepper and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
Add the diced beets, diced parsnips and vegetable broth. Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the beets are fork tender.
Use a ladle to transfer the soup to a high-powered blender. Blend for one minute or until creamy.
To serve, pour the soup into a bowl and garnish with coconut cream or yogurt, parsley, black sesame seeds and cracked black pepper.
- CALORIES: 145kcal
- CARBOHYDRATES: 19g
- PROTEIN: 2g
- FAT: 7g
- SATURATED FAT: 1g
- SODIUM: 994mg
- POTASSIUM: 394mg
- FIBER: 4g
- SUGAR: 9g
- VITAMIN A: 521iu
- VITAMIN C: 12mg
- CALCIUM: 34mg
- IRON: 1mg
Book a Free 10 Minute Call With Dr Liz
Your health is your best asset!